Tuesday, November 12, 2013

b r i g h t

Winter in Canada can be, at times, seriously depressing. Once daylight savings has passed (when we jump our clocks back an hour in order to have more morning sunlight) the sun sets at approximately 4:00...When I leave work around 5:00 and it's as dark as midnight, it feels eerily like being in a time warp. What's even stranger is how this seems to bother me now, whereas in years past I could have cared less (and even relished the darkness more than the light).

[The night is dark and full of terrors].

*

Last Halloween was the first one that Josh and I spent together; we'd been dating for a little over a month and the party which we attended was the first major event where I would meet all of his friends. I made Josh's requested costume: a sunflower/dandelion. He wore green tights and a green ladies t-shirt from Joe Fresh (which I got to keep, hooray!) and the lovely headdress pictured above. I glued plastic flowers all over a decapitated hoodie hood for him; the hat is incredibly, surprisingly snuggly and we both joke about wearing it for a winter hat.

It's objects and memories like these that help me through the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment