Monday, June 17, 2013

w o r d s


I seriously miss renting movies. 

I grew up in a small town. We lived in a little farmhouse with a pond and raspberry bushes in the spacious backyard.

We didn't have cable, so renting videos was always a favourite treat for my younger brother and I. My mum would often take us into town to the general store where we were each allowed to pick out a movie. The store was located in the main floor of a white house with a pillared front porch; I called it The Pumpkin People because they put pumpkin-headed scarecrows out there on Halloween. I remember there being candy, ice cream, crafts and a wall of VHS tapes.

Almost every time we visited that store, I choose the same movie to take home: Serendipity. The story centered around a little boy who, while exploring the arctic with his scientist parents, gets trapped on a iceberg which floats down to the tropics. When the ice melts, he finds a giant pink polka-dot egg, which hatches into a fuchsia and green sea-serpent named Serendipity. They live together on an island with a melancholy mermaid-princess with purple hair and annoying fantasy creatures and battle a mean, old sea-captain. I was completely obsessed and played it on a near constant loop. Having re-watched it as an adult, I seriously admire my mother's patience in allowing that to happen!

It's colourful, nonsensical and slightly annoying, but still absolutely magical to me (and the theme-song was super catchy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment